[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Prune stack serialization

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:05:56 UTC 2011

>    WRT clean closures, check what I did in Cuis to serialize
>>    SortedCollections. See implementors and senders of #isClean.
>>

>> Nice. Thanks Juan. I was checking your code, and that's exactly why I
>> asked Eliot. In your method you say:
>>
>> isClean
>>    "A clean closure is one that doesn't really need the home context
>> because:
>>        - It doesn't send messages to self or super
>>        - It doesn't access any instance variable
>>        - It doesn't access any outer temp
>>        - It doesn't do ^ return"
>>
>> So... my question is, WHAT do I need to serialize if I want to be able to
>> serialize also "non clean". I mean, for each item on that list, what do I
>> need apart from the closure instance and the receiver and method from the
>> outerContext ?  the whole stack of contexts ?
>>

> I think it is needed to know why you need to serialize a non-clean
> closure. If it is just to be able to evaluate it,

well, some people may just need that, but there are cases where I need it
completely. I mean, I need to serialize the whole possible graph of
objects. This is an example for what I am doing in my PhD. We are also
experiment with remote messages and things like that and sometimes we pass
a whole stack. In that case I thin it also make sense. But again, these are
particular cases. I agree that most of the times the closure will be "clean"

> maybe you don't need the stack at all. My trick could be augmented by
> serializing any referenced objects, but not the stack.

Yes, maybe I was not clear. When I refer to "stack" I refer all instances
of ContextPart (well, subclasses) and all the objects reachable from there.