[squeak-dev] Re: Package Pane Browser Broken

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 07:53:19 UTC 2011

On 13 December 2011 21:20, glenpaling <slp5591 at me.com> wrote:
> I doubt there will be any consequences outside of the PackagePaneBrowser
> since all the changes I propose are within it. Modifying its classList
> method to call selectedSystemCategoryName rather than selectedSystemCategory
> restored it to operation. Renaming the method is incidental, the only sender
> I could find is the classList method in PackagePaneBrowser. It's not
> redundant in PBB because it reconstitutes the Package-Category string.
>
> Let's wait and hear what Frank has to say, they're his modifications.

I don't claim to be an expert on all things Browser; I'm just the last
person who hacked on it. I followed the convention that
#selectedFooName would return a string suitable for displaying in a
list, while #selectedFoo would return the entity itself. I tried, in
other words, to maintain a strict seperation between the view of
something and the thing itself. Relying on Foos to print themselves
appropriately inside what happens to be a PluggableListMorph today and
might be a RandomShinyMorph tomorrow seemed brittle.

As such, it might SEEM superfluous to have both #selectedFooName and
#selectedFoo, but it's not: other non-Foo parts of the UI should know
only about UI stuff.

frank