[squeak-dev] [ANN] Koans for Teaching the Basics of Smalltalk

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 14 08:07:02 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 23:30, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net
> <mailto:lenglish5 at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     That sounds really great.
>
>     However, there are some broken bits in Squeak that will make
>     learning Smalltalk difficult.
>
>     Most simple and important example I have right now is the
>     well-known issue that the VM will freeze indefinitely if you input
>     a long running calculation, e.g. x := 100000 factorial. The
>     interrupt key doesn't work, usually.  Newbies like me, like to
>     experiment, and if the VM freezes with every typo, then its hardly
>     worth using.
>

> This is interesting because it does *not* freeze in my Qwaq-derived
> work image.  Here the interrupt key works perfectly with no delay.
>  I'll see if I can investigate.  Andreas, do you recall doing anything
> to the debugger to fix issues like this in the Qwaq system?

Nothing I can recall. Also, when I try interrupting 100000 factorial in
a 4.2 image with either a Teleplace or OpenQwaq VM I have no trouble
interrupting anything. So it doesn't look like it's an issue in the
image that is causing it. Wonder if there's anything changed in the
support code perhaps...

Cheers,
   - Andreas