[squeak-dev] The Trunk: ReleaseBuilder-chc.71.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Dec 22 11:07:03 UTC 2011

On 22.12.2011, at 03:13, Chris Cunnington wrote:

>> 1024x758 is a very unusual and uncommon resolution.  I think you
>> meant, 1024x768, but I really don't  think we should be on-the-fly
>> increasing the default size Squeak has opened forever when we have not
>> given any thought, much less discussion.
>>

> In the first part, that's and error. Yes, it's supposed to be 1024x768. I made a mistake, which I'm about to fix.
> As for the second point, I'd I can't speak to that. It's the basis I'm working on for now, as I was advised.
>
> Chris

A previous alpha-image was 784x548. This is too small even to display the World Menu completely. That's why I suggested going up to 1024x768 by default. The VM is supposed to make the window fit on the screen if the stored size is too large. So we would be fine even on smaller screens. But 800x600 would be okay too, the world menu would fit.

Btw, the ReleaseBuilder's way of setting the window size does not work as expected on Mac VMs. It uses primitive 92 which incorrectly sets the monitor resolution, not the window size, apparently ignoring the full-screen flag. I'd recommend using the host window primitives as we do in Etoys (attached). These work on all platforms.

- Bert -