[squeak-dev] Re: final 4.2 image available

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Feb 1 21:12:17 UTC 2011

On 1/31/11 9:24 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Squeak4.2-10950.zip is now available at http://ftp.squeak.org/4.2,

Thanks! I've been away for a while and a quick test showed lots to like. Here's what I tried:

- run it with standard (3.8) vm on a two year old macbook, Help -> About this System -> Tiny Benchmarks:

492781520 bytecodes/sec; 10904180 sends/sec

- as above but with latest mac Cog vm found at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ :

618731117 bytecodes/sec; 57063019 sends/sec. FWIW although these numbers are higher, the tiny benchmark took longer in
wall clock time to complete (about 6s in cog vs 4s with the standard vm.)

In both vms mousing around feels very snappy, also there's a noticeable slight lag in unhighlighting the old item when
mousing around on the world menu.

It was strange to find the Toggle full screen option in Projects menu, I kept looking in the Windows or squeak menus.

Best,
-Simon