[squeak-dev] Reg. SqueakSource

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:29:21 UTC 2011

Does anyone here know this guts of SS well? I've wondered for some time what it would take to decouple the SCM repository bits from the web front end.

I think I was listening to independent misinterpretations when someone suggested adding a query API to it; if we did that, it wouldn't be hard to attach various "views" or web front ends (e.g., we might make a front end that's "spider food" such that searching for a package at Google might turn up a project page, like with CPAN. The current default Seaside URLs pretty much guarantee that SEO is DOA.)

It seems like having an integrated web front end probably encumbers SS. I wonder what the performance impact of being both a WFE and a SCM winds up being.

Any thoughts?