[squeak-dev] Reg. SqueakSource

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 3 18:47:22 UTC 2011

On 03.02.2011, at 19:29, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Does anyone here know this guts of SS well? I've wondered for some time what it would take to decouple the SCM repository bits from the web front end.
>
> I think I was listening to independent misinterpretations when someone suggested adding a query API to it; if we did that, it wouldn't be hard to attach various "views" or web front ends (e.g., we might make a front end that's "spider food" such that searching for a package at Google might turn up a project page, like with CPAN. The current default Seaside URLs pretty much guarantee that SEO is DOA.)
>
> It seems like having an integrated web front end probably encumbers SS. I wonder what the performance impact of being both a WFE and a SCM winds up being.
>
> Any thoughts?

The SS model is well decoupled from its web view. Adding additional entry points is possible (e.g. there is my /project.html hack, or the rss feeds, etc. that use "nice" URLs).

However, what you call "SCM" is fully client side. SS is nothing more than a webdav folder (actually less, it only supports http put and get).

There are some features like diffing and browsing packages that actually look inside the uploaded blobs, but they were added on later. At its core, SqueakSource provides just a shared folder of files.

- Bert -