[squeak-dev] Re: [Newbies] Looking to get libomv working with Squeak, is the dotNetBridge still alive?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 4 09:38:43 UTC 2011

Hi!

(I am ccing squeak-dev because it will give us a better chance of good
answers)

On 02/01/2011 08:33 PM, Raz Welles wrote:
> Hey, I've just begun learning Squeak, and I was wondering if there was
> to use .Net dll's with Squeak (libomv in particular). BrianRice
> pointed out the dotNetBridge, but it seems to be dead, as the
> saltypickle.com site is gone.

But you can still get the code using SqueakMap cache:

http://map.squeak.org/package/f4f46616-3def-4f6c-b574-7b04d78dca28/autoversion/3/cache

(jsut adding "/cache" to the page for the version)

This will give you a file called "cache", just rename it to the proper
*.mcz name.

And if you use the SqueakMap Package Loader from inside Squeak it should
use this automatically. :)

 > FFI seems a bit daunting to delve into.

FFI is actually simple to use, but C# libs can not be called just by
using FFI.

Mono had a wrapping tool called "cilc" earlier (I googled) that could
generate a C lib wrapper for C# libs, that you then could have called
using FFI. But it has been discontinued in Mono 2.8, anyone know of
similar tools?

Also FFI will "soonish" get much better too - Eliot is working on that.

> Does anyone have insight into .Net and Squeak interop?

Not really :) But it is IMHO an increasinly interesting question.

regards, Göran