[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.2 Installer for Windows

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Sat Feb 5 21:37:39 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/05 17:17, Chris Muller wrote:
> Thanks Ian!  I will download, test and upload right away.  One quick
> question:  What does the 110205 in the filename represent?

Hi Chris,

Thats just the date. I wrote the original NSIS installer script
to provide a setup for Pharo and later for Squeak too.
Thanks to Ian this work is not lost and now finds a new home.

When I wrote the initial version all packaged Pharo images
had the "build date" in its name since from time to time
there was (beside the usual update mechanism) a read to run image
uploaded on the INRIA server and this date was the only possibility
to see which package was newer.

Since I provided the Installer files in parallel I used the
same convention for the Pharo installer. Dont know if that
makes sense for Squeak since AFAIK full releases like 4.2 only happen
from time to time.

However: you should note the following, the executable for
the Windows VM has a VERSION ressource section. Andreas has
integrated this in the VM sources after I suggested it.

So you can right click on the *.exe and look at its version - like
in any other windows executable.

This version number is also important for the setup, if the MSI
(Microsoft installer) installer program finds a higher version
of the exe it might not install the one from the setup package
(since the file on disk is already newer).

Also the NSIS file includes a version (see the script) and this
should always increment. This version is shown in the windows
control panel (the one where you can remove installed programs).

Bye
Torsten