[squeak-dev] Object>>is:

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Feb 11 16:02:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 11 February 2011 15:57, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> Since this method is hardly useful from any other code but morphic,
>>> then what it does in SmalltalkImage?
>>
>> That's a good question, but unrelated to this thread.
>>
>>> It should belong to UI universe.. and UI uninverse should know how to
>>> tell all morphs to do that cleanup.. and then you don't need anything
>>> related to it in Object protocol.
>>> It makes no sense asking every object in system in a way like that.
>>
>> It's a lot faster asking all objects, than asking only the Morphs.
>>

> Morphs are just a subset of all objects.. So, please tell me how
> sending a message to all objects could be faster than sending message
> to all morphs? :)

I guess you didn't think about the problem. How do you select all morphs?

>>> So, all you need is to think a bit more broadly in a sense, how to
>>> improve system and remove crappy patterns from use,
>>> but not blindly replace one pattern by another , which replacing one
>>> flood with another.
>>
>> If you can show a pattern for this which has comparable performance with the
>> current implementation, then I'm all ears.
>>

> Since when performance became the only criteria for reasoning about
> implementation quality?

Who said it's the only criteria (besides you)?
Btw, the previous implementation of this method was slow. It annoyed me so
much that I changed it to the current implememtation which uses
allObjectsDo: and is 22x faster for a Trunk image.

Levente