[squeak-dev] Procedure for condensing sources

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:41:33 UTC 2011

>> Each release should be able to present it's deltas to the prior
>> release.  That is not cruft.
>
> The cruft would appear in the 4.3 release if we would condense the sources
> now and ship 4.3 with these condensed sources. If we wait till the release
> of 4.3, then the condensed sources will be smaller, because those won't
> include the code removed during the developement of 4.3.

Well, will there be a very much code removed?  I'm hard-pressed to
imagine we would save even 1MB of disk-space.  But yet at the cost of
losing a continuity-of-record about Squeak; e.g., "what happened
between 4.2 and 4.3".  Each release should be presented in terms of
its delta to the prior release.  Isn't that a bad deal or am I missing
something?

Besides, if someone wanted to save that last MB of disk-space, a
simple "condensing" script could be included in 4.3 as a user-script,
along with other "slimming" things like unloading extra packages, for
those who care about sparing every last MB.

 - Chris