[squeak-dev] Procedure for condensing sources

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 21:51:05 UTC 2011

> Okay, I see your point now. You want to keep all the intermediate versions
> in the changes file. In that case, condensing before release won't work.

We probably don't need _all_ intermediate versions including ones that
were discarded.  I think just the current and the one that was in the
prior released image should be sufficient for each release.

I think this can be accomplished by, just before releasing, say, 4.3,
we take the 4.2 image, compress/fold its 4.1.changes into a new
V42.sources + empty changes file for 4.3.  Then launch the 4.2 image
and "update squeak".  It would be a big merge, but I think we would
end up with two entries in method-history for for the methods that
changed between 4.2 and 4.3, and just one in method-history for every
other (legacy) method that didn't change between 4.2 and 4.3.

> I didn't mention disk space in this thread so far, but here's what I think
> about it: Disk space is cheap. If someone is short on disk space (e.g.
> embedded systems), then s/he can use compressed source files or use the
> image with no source files at all.

I totally agree.

 - Chris