[squeak-dev] Procedure for condensing sources

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Feb 20 02:04:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>>> I'm not sure about what your goal is with that delta. Condensing the
>> sources
>>> is not bad, but IMHO it's late. It can be done now, but it's better
>> before
>>> releasing the image (it's not specific to 4.3).
>>
>> My goal is elegance, continuity, and useful information (deltas).
>>

> Elegance pushes for an empty or absent changes file.  Continuity and useful
> information push for a sources file that contains older versions.  I have
> code that condenses the changes while eliminating intermediate versions that
> are not ancestors of the current version.  See directAncestryOfVersions: in
> the attached changes.  How about we adapt this code to function for
> generating a new sources file, and generate a SqueakV4.2.sources?

Andreas added SmalltalkImage >> #appendChangesTo: during the developement
of 4.1 which can create a new sources file (or modify the existing one),
which will contain the contents of the original sources file + the latest
version of all changes from the changes file. The contents of the changes
file will be empty.

Levente