[squeak-dev] FFI issue in Squeak 4.2 ?

mkobetic at gmail.com mkobetic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:00:02 UTC 2011

I'm struggling to load Xtreams-Xtras into the new release of Squeak. I sprinkled all the classes with allowUnderscoreSelectors (true) and allowUnderscoreAssignments (false), made sure I don't have any underscores on class side, made sure none of the classes have underscores in their names, but it still seems that unless i explicitly turn off allowUnderscoreAssignments in global preferences it won't compile the instance side methods with underscore selectors.

Then even when I get past it with the help of the global preference, I still get the following syntax error which doesn't make any sense to me:

HMAC_CTX_cleanup: ctx
	<cdecl:	void 'HMAC_CTX_cleanup' (HMACCTX*Matching number of arguments expected ->) module: 'libcrypto'>
	^self externalCallFailed

HMACCTX is a subclass of ExternalStructure. This all seems to be fine on Pharo side and I would swear I could load it into an earlier Squeak version, but I don't remember the details anymore. I even made sure I'm using the exact same versions of FFI packages as I do in Pharo (the configuration from MetacelloRepository that I normally load in Pharo doesn't seem to be quite up to date), but that didn't help either. Any suggestions ? How should one go about writing portable FFI code (I mean portable between Pharo and Squeak)? Any chance that FFI support would be in the base image one day so that one didn't have to worry about where to get it and which one ?

Thanks,

Martin