[squeak-dev] Smalltalk string API

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:14:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>  On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>>

> snip
>

>  Collection >> join: delimiter
>>>
>>>       ^String streamContents: [ :stream |
>>>               self
>>>                       do: [ :each | each putOn: stream ]
>>>                       separatedBy: [ delimiter putOn: stream ] ]
>>>

>> +1.  This is pellucidly clear and elegant.  It might not be super fast but
>> Marcus and I are working on adaptive optimization/speculative inlining
>> precisely to optimize cases like this into fast executable code.
>>  Hopefully
>> we'll be able to demonstrate automatic optimization of code like this into
>> flatter faster code this year.  Keep writing beautiful code and somehow
>> we'll figure out how to make it go fast.
>>

> Great. Is the developement open?

It will be soon.  Marcus wants to get his SSA compiler to a state where he
can do a round-trip, converting bytecoded methods into SSA and back into
bytecode.  His code worked pre-closures and is now being upgraded.   I'll be
committing a VM with the low-level support for performance counters on
conditional branches and a primitive to answer the state of PICs and
counters soon.  We are no more than a few weeks away.

cheers
Eliot