[squeak-dev] DBus bindings

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:04:12 UTC 2011

I am investigating ways to have Squeak respond nicely to user logoff or
system shutdown on Unix hosts. Currently files are left open,
triggering a file system integrity check on restart and the associated
threat of image corruption or loss.

I began at signals, good old SIGHUP and SIGQUIT, working in Gnome.
Neither was suitable. Next I dug into gedit to see how it worked and
found that Gnome uses its own signal library. Someone told me Gnome's
library just traps DBus signals, so I looked into DBus and read that I
should use one of the higher level bindings. And what did I find on the
bindings page (www.freedesktop.org)? Bindings for Squeak by Bert
Freudenberg!

Can someone give me a 1-2-3 on how to incorporate the six mcz files on
SqueakSource into a 4.2 image? I am a Monticello newbie. Anyone using
them care to share their insights and experiences?

(apologies if format is weird, I had to resend because original was sent
from wrong account. )

Gary Dunn, Honolulu