[squeak-dev] SqueakMap for documentation?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 25 14:26:52 UTC 2011

Hi all!

On 02/25/2011 07:23 AM, Jeff G wrote:
> As part of the increasing usability, I was wondering if Squeakmap offers
> a way of removing any packages that you select.  I feel like having a
> way to automate the removal of any packages installed would allow for
> safe experimentation and go a long way to encouraging users to give it a
> try.

The short and brutal answer is that "safe removal" is impossible. This
is because installing code into a Squeak image will run the class side
initialize methods - and God Knows whats they do!

Having said that, we can always offer "removal" (but not promise safety)
and depending on format SM could do the most "reasonable" thing.

And one can always save the image before messing with it you know - as a
fallback!

regards, Göran

PS. When it comes to "undo" of code modifications the Deltastreams
project gives us that - if I/we ever get the time to put in those last
hours to make it usable.