[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tests-cmm.106.mcz

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Thu Jan 6 19:02:07 UTC 2011

Am 06.01.2011 um 00:29 schrieb Chris Muller:
> I don't mean to be dumb, but what is a "clean" package?  And, what is
> a Obsolete PackageInfo?
May I refer you to my explanation here?
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-October/154839.html

I took the name obsolete PackageInfo from Andreas' message #flushObsoletePackageInfos. I think it could be named better, though, flushNonMonticelloPackageInfos maybe?

> The purpose of this is to ensure we don't introduce new unwanted
> package-dependencies by, for example, adding a new class reference or
> something?
The purpose is to fix 6 of the 8 failing PackageDependencyTests in people's trunk images. (The 7th #testSUnitGUI is fixed by Graphics-bp.173 and Morphic-bp.505 in the inbox.)

The assumption behind this is that the update process should keep working. In my opinion people should neither be required to start from a new 4.2 image or do an agressive clean up, i.e. Smalltalk cleanUp: true.

In other words:
1. Take the latest trunk image: Squeak4.2-10779-alpha.image.
2. Update it.
3. Run PackageDependencyTest. You get 8 failures.
4. Execute this:
PackageOrganizer default
     unregisterPackageNamed: 'PackageInfo';
     unregisterPackageNamed: 'ToolBuilder';
     unregisterPackageNamed: 'Morphic-TrueType'
5. Run PackageDependencyTest. You are back to 1 failure. (Morphic now depends on Help-Squeak-TerseGuide.)

All I tried to do is to fix failing tests for the release. ;-)

I hope it is a little clearer now.

Cheers,
Bernhard