[squeak-dev] Cog stdio

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 16:39:02 UTC 2011

MicroSqueak comes with a StdioListener.cs file, which is for sending
messages using the command line and seeing a response on the command
line. I take it the result would look like:

squeak>
squeak>
squeak>
squeak>

in Terminal.

But StdioListener.cs cannot work with a MicroSqueak's 3.8 related
virtual machine, as stdio is a property of Cog. So, if I put
StdioListener.cs into 4.1, then I theorize I could send some kind of
message on the command line.

StdioListener>>#run

     ...snip to last line...
     [Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true]

That's interesting. No sooner has the image started than it's shutting
down. It won't exist as a process in Darwin.

I suppose that I could send a message to my image/vm upon startup:

$ ./Croquet ~/Desktop/Squeak4.1\ Designer/Squeak4.1.image ???

But I can't imagine what I'd send it on the command line. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris