[squeak-dev] Xtreams up to date

mkobetic at gmail.com mkobetic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 00:08:19 UTC 2011

Hope it's OK to cross-post this, I figured there might be interested people on both sides. I finished the updates of the Xtreams port to match the VW version, so everything (that is available) should work as advertised in the documentation (http://code.google.com/p/xtreams/).

Besides the implementation updates this last round of changes includes:

* repackaging to match the docs and VW better, the dialect specific parts are now (mostly) gathered in Xtreams-Support

* there is now a Gofer expression on the project page (http://www.squeaksource.com/Xtreams.html) to help people loading it, it shouldn't be hard to keep it up to date it shouldn't change very much

* the source code is now identical between the dialects as much as possible, to help keeping it up to date.

* one significant API change is that we renamed XTIncomplete to Incomplete to make code that uses Xtreams more portable. This is the only class that is very prominent in the API and hard to avoid in any sufficiently complex application, hopefully this is acceptable.

I don't anticipate any significant changes in the port for next little while. I'd like to play with Squeak FFI next to see if I can bring the cryptographic streams from Xtreams-Xtras over and then see what it would take to get Xtreams-SSH2 running on Squeak and how it would perform. If you're curious how it went on VW side, I wrote about that in a blog post here: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cst/blogView.

If you find bugs or issues, feel free to file an issue on the google project page (http://code.google.com/p/xtreams/issues/list). I'm monitoring both of these lists now as well and will try to answer any questions promptly.

Cheers!

Martin