[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Compiler-mtf.105.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed Jan 12 12:27:40 UTC 2011

On 2011/01/11 23:29, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> Added support for positional messages and matrix expressions, from cobalt. Used in OpenGL
>>

> Personally i would implement these syntax extensions is separate
> Parser/Class subclasses
> and then put them in use locally by classes which using them, by
> redefining  #parserClass/compilerClass.
>
> I don't think that everyone will be happy seeing these syntax
> extensions enabled by default.
> Let us keep base syntax in core classes. Compiler and Parser code
> already clobbered enough up to the point to be completely thrown out
> and replaced by implementation from scratch :)

I'd like to see the syntax for these expressions in the relevant places.
Positional messages I presume mean foo(1,2,3), but what does a matrix
expression look like?

I don't mind syntax extensions, as long as we don't go crazy with them.
Of course, like Igor points out, we can go as crazy as we like without
upsetting other parts of the system by using #parserClass/compilerClass
(like OMeta does, for instance, using a completely different language in
its methods).

frank