[squeak-dev] [Cuis][Ann] Cuis 3.0 is available

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jan 14 20:23:37 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

A new release of Cuis is available, as usual, at
www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . The big news is a completely new,
fresh UI look. Cuis now has the concept of UI themes, and several themes
are included. We must thank Casey Ransberger for all this. He had the
original idea, and did most of the work. I focused on anti aliasing,
gradients, and such. This is not a finished work, most likely we'll be
doing cosmetic tweaks during the next releases. We think it can look
even better! (More details in the Release Notes, at the web page).

This release is also the first one to include a lot of work and fun done
specifically for and in Cuis by someone but myself. I want to thank
Casey for the work and the fun! I also want to encourage everybody to
use Cuis, and contribute to it.

Do download it and give it a try. You won't be disappointed!

The other big news is a new design for the text system: the TextModel
and TextProvider hierarchies comprise the model. TextModelMorph and
BareTextMorph together are the view. This design is simpler, more
consistent and easier to understand. In addition it will allows text
models have their own specific behavior. This might be used (for
example) for multi-level undo, etc. The separation of view and model is
not completely clean yet, but this code is really worth taking a look.
While this code was written by yours truly, it can be published freely
by courtesy of Bernhard Pieber and www.software-generation.com . Thanks
Bernhard!

As usual, there are many smaller enhancements and bug fixes, including a
careful review and cherry picking of latest changes to Squeak trunk.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich