[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis][Ann] Cuis 3.0 is available

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 03:46:49 UTC 2011

Totally! The question I meant to ask with this demonstration was: how much can the complexity of a themes system be reduced by baking support into the UI layer, rather than trying to keep extensions and especially overrides in parity with kernel development?

While it's certainly too soon to tell, I don't necessarily think that feature parity with Polymorph is really necessary to come to a good conclusion. FWIW, a nice subset of the features in Polymorph will probably make users of Cuis quite happy anyway.

For this release, my only goal was to make the colors of the system widgets configurable. We did more than I'd planned, thanks to Juan's graphics expertise, willingness to pitch in, and enthusiasm. There are some widgets that we missed, but I intend to take care of those in time, and there are lots of features I'd like to add.

My hope is to incubate the implementation in Cuis, and eventually port to Squeak, but this is quite a ways off as of now.

I want to say something else: I don't mean to disparage Polymorph. I love Polymorph! I spent a *significant* amount of time trying to keep it working in trunk, because I liked making themes for it so much. I think it's admirable what Polymorph was able to accomplish, with the broad UI surface in Squeak, and the tough constraints that were placed on it's design. It's rather a matter of fact that I wouldn't have started this work at all had not Polymorph submerged into Pharo. I decided I needed something I could keep working mostly by myself, and I've been using Cuis a lot, so here we are.

Thanks so much for your comment!