[squeak-dev] license (was: Extended Clipboard)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Jan 18 14:36:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:

> Juan,
>
>> BTW, I believe that Sophie is under BSD license, but it seems Etoys
>> includes code derived from it, and claims to be in MIT / Apache. How was
>> this handled? Is it OK to assume that code from Sophie can be published
>> under MIT?
>
> As far as I know, the "modified BSD" and "MIT" licenses are equivalent.

It's the 2-clause BSD license that's (probably) compatible with the "MIT"
license. The MIT license doesn't include the non-endorsement clause which
Sophie has:

"Neither the name of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles
nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
products derived from this software without specific prior written
permission."

So Sophie's license (3-clause BSD) is clearly not compatible with the MIT
license.

Levente