[squeak-dev] Re: Kinect and Etoys

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:39:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 20.01.2011, at 11:28, Cédrick Béler wrote:
>
> > really cool :)
> >
> > next step is OpenCobalt/Croquet/Teleplace ? :)
> >
> > Cédrick
>
> Already been done last year:
>

> http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2010/11/microsoft-kinect-sensor-in-krestianstvo.html

Not, really the same.. )

I started exploring the possibility of making KinectPlugin for Squeak, based
on OpenKinect project <http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page>. This don't
require to install any drivers (like OpenNI) and run any external
applications (like OSCeleton) for using Kinect sensor. So, the idea is that
KinectPlugin just transfer two RGB and Depth images into squeak and all
video recognizing stuff (aka Kinect wrapper) is programmed just in
Smalltalk.

Here, Ricardo using another scenario. He uses an OSC protocol  (trough
network) in Squeak/EToys connecting to an external compiled programm
OSCeleton, which communicates with the installed OpenNI drivers in hosting
OS (Windows for now). OSCeleton takes Kinect skeleton data from the OpenNI
framework and spits out the coordinates of the skeleton's joints via OSC
messages.
That's is straightforward way of using OpenNI framework in Squeak and have
it's benefits, great!

Best regards,
Nikolay