[squeak-dev] Re: Kinect and Etoys

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:37:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:
>

>> On 20.01.2011, at 11:28, Cédrick Béler wrote:
>>
>> > really cool :)
>> >
>> > next step is OpenCobalt/Croquet/Teleplace ? :)
>> >
>> > Cédrick
>>
>> Already been done last year:
>>

>> http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2010/11/microsoft-kinect-sensor-in-krestianstvo.html
>>

> Not, really the same.. )
>
> I started exploring the possibility of making KinectPlugin for Squeak,
> based on OpenKinect project <http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page>. This
> don't require to install any drivers (like OpenNI) and run any external
> applications (like OSCeleton) for using Kinect sensor. So, the idea is that
> KinectPlugin just transfer two RGB and Depth images into squeak and all
> video recognizing stuff (aka Kinect wrapper) is programmed just in
> Smalltalk.
>
> Here, Ricardo using another scenario. He uses an OSC protocol  (trough
> network) in Squeak/EToys connecting to an external compiled programm
> OSCeleton, which communicates with the installed OpenNI drivers in hosting
> OS (Windows for now). OSCeleton takes Kinect skeleton data from the OpenNI
> framework and spits out the coordinates of the skeleton's joints via OSC
> messages.
> That's is straightforward way of using OpenNI framework in Squeak and have
> it's benefits, great!

Exactly, I couldn't have explained it better :). We also started using
OpenKinect and the video processing was *really* difficult. A friend of mine
was working on that when we found OpenNI/NITE and stuff which does the
actual hard work :). So, in the interest of having something working
quickly, we just used that.

However, it's really uncomfortable having to install all those drivers and
libraries (and copying/pastying xml files). I guess it's just not ready for
final users yet...

Cheers
Richo