[squeak-dev] Kinect and Etoys

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:21:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Alejandro F. Reimondo <
aleReimondo at smalltalking.net> wrote:

>  Hi Ricardo,
>
> We are also working with Kinect a lot of fun and usefull
>  applications are now possible at low cost.
> We do native interface & computer vision to do shape
>  analysis, and hand tracking in smalltalk.

Well, that's *very* interesting. Is your software open source? Is it
available somewhere?

> Yesterday I opened a campaign [*] to build software to use
>  kinect device for 3D scanning of models; we are working
>  on that based on our VS frameworks, produced models
>  can be transfered using standard 3D file format.
> The exchange of information between frameworks (low level
>  information from our framework to squeak) in realtime
>  can be realized same way as OpenNI interface is using
>  for skeleton.
>
> In our tests the use of OpenNI produced low response
>  and loose of tracking, that motivated us to exploit
>  low level interface and continue learning the internals
>  and specific conditions of the device and capture
>  process.

For what I've seen OpenNI response time and precision is quite acceptable
(if you can live without finger precision, of course). It works well even
using OSC. I thought it wouldn't work at all and I would need to use FFI to
access the libraries, but I was wrong.

Cheers
Richo

PS. Good luck with the campaign! I look forward to see what you make :)