[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Instruments for headless images

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:19:27 UTC 2011

Considerations about improving headless support need to not only be
about what to do with error output.  When "running headless," the user
is taking on a different kind of interaction with the system; it is
now an industrial interface instead of the GUI, but it *is* a
user-interface nonetheless.  Therefore interacting with the system
this way should address *input* as well as output.

The input in the industrial environment consists of the name of a
Smalltalk script + command-line arguments to that script.

> this is next step..
>
> I think this could be set by preference system
> on error:
>  - print error to log and quit
>  - print error to log and do save & quit
>  - print error to log and do save new version & quit

It's important to allow the same image to be used by multiple scripts,
some of which might want to exit without saving, some which want to
save under a new name.  "How-to-quit" should be specific to each input
script, not a global preference in the image.

Regards,
  Chris