[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Instruments for headless images

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:40:41 UTC 2011

On 21 January 2011 20:19, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Considerations about improving headless support need to not only be
> about what to do with error output.  When "running headless," the user
> is taking on a different kind of interaction with the system; it is
> now an industrial interface instead of the GUI, but it *is* a
> user-interface nonetheless.  Therefore interacting with the system
> this way should address *input* as well as output.
>
> The input in the industrial environment consists of the name of a
> Smalltalk script + command-line arguments to that script.
>
>> this is next step..
>>
>> I think this could be set by preference system
>> on error:
>>  - print error to log and quit
>>  - print error to log and do save & quit
>>  - print error to log and do save new version & quit
>
> It's important to allow the same image to be used by multiple scripts,
> some of which might want to exit without saving, some which want to
> save under a new name.  "How-to-quit" should be specific to each input
> script, not a global preference in the image.

Yes, but i'm not talking about scripts which are crafted specifically
to run for headless images and aware about various nuances.
I am talking about scripts which are quickly coded without any
precautions, because most of users
can't make difference between running headless and headful and where
all problems can arise from..

So for such scripts image should behave adequately and not hang in
undetermined state
waiting an input from potential user.  It should use these settings as
default ones.
I just wanna make life a bit easier for people :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.