[squeak-dev] Re: Possible Background fix

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:09:01 UTC 2011

If it was me, I'd probably try to load the image, and handle the error that came back if it's missing with my fallback code.

I always wind up going to google when I need an exception handler in Squeak. I don't need them often enough to remember the idiom, which is odd, coming from other languages. I think it falls out of the uniform object/message protocol, I suppose. If mostly the only error is "I didn't understand that message" and polymorphism is used pervasively, I guess exceptions only happen once in awhile.

Is it weird that I'm surprised when exceptions only occur in exceptional circumstances?

Anyway if you think an exception handler will give you what you want, I found an example for you here:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2008-September/005041.html