[squeak-dev] Stdio updates

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 04:00:18 UTC 2011

It looks to me as though you've moved the three handles from
StandardFileStream to FileStream.
Could you perhaps give an example or two?

Since playing with MicroSqueak I've been staring with covetous eyes at
Interpreter>>print: which is nothing more than printf(). I want to be
able to print output not to a log file, but back to the terminal.
MicroSqueak does that with #primitiveExitToDebugger (which uses
#printCallStackFrom:).

I figure printf() is a great candidate for a simple FFI hack. I could
create a method called #terminal: (instead of #log:).

I'm haunted by the idea of creating a command line Squeak interface.
(FWIW the input would be passive: a drop folder. Create a process with
FileDirectory to see if anything has been added to a directory every
five seconds. It has? Stream it up to Compiler evaluate:.) Then a person
could write a script in vi, cp it to the drop folder, and know it was
working in a headless image by the output sent back to terminal by
#terminal:.

Any examples to show how to use what you've just created would be
greatly appreciated.

Chris