[squeak-dev] DateAndTime>>startUp:

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Jan 27 19:05:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

> Why initializeOffsets executes by fork in startUp method?
>
> startUp: resuming
>    resuming ifFalse: [ ^ self ].
>    [     self initializeOffsets.] fork
>

> Cuise has this version:
>
> startUp: resuming
>    resuming ifFalse: [ ^ self ].
>    OffsetsAreValid _ false.
>    [
>        self initializeOffsets.
>        OffsetsAreValid _ true
>    ] forkAt: Processor userInterruptPriority.
>

> Why not just
>
> startUp: resuming
>    resuming ifFalse: [ ^ self ].
>    self initializeOffsets.
>
> ?
>
> I have appilcation. And sometimes when I run squeak I have bad dateTime
> equal to last saved value.
>
> I cant reproduced it manually.
> Can it be due wrong squeak implementation?

You didn't state it explicitly, but I found out that you're using Squeak
4.1. In Squeak 4.2 we have the Cuis version of this method. But your issue
is unrelated. The change from Cuis makes the startup process faster by
forking #initializeOffsets. #initializeOffsets causes an at most 1 second
pause which is avoided by this "trick".

Levente