[squeak-dev] Uri vs. Url

Cédrick Béler cdrick65 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 23:57:05 UTC 2011

> It confuses me that the URI and Url class hierarchies are separate, given that a URL is a subset of URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN). Does it make sense to unify these?

According to the class comment of URI

"Difference between URI, URL and URN
A URI is a uniform resource identifier while a URL is a uniform resource locator.  Every URL is a URI but not every URI is a URL. This is because there is another subcategory of URIs, uniform resource names (URNs), which name resources but do not specify how to locate them. The following expressions are URNs examples

	mailto:Pharo-project at lists.gforge.inria.fr
	urn:isbn:000102002x"

Maybe, we should have

URI << URN