[squeak-dev] etoys web browser plugin on Linux

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 23:37:38 UTC 2011

I have been investigating similar issues for the Open Slate Project.
Many challenges to overcomes, but it is possible.

    o Security
    o Presence, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presence_information
    o Version synchronization, dependencies

I have been poking around in Nebraska. Realistically only applicable
in a LAN environment and even then awkward by today's standards, but
not so bad if the goal is to learn how it works -- what is an IP
address, what does it do, where does it come from. In Nebraska you can
share a desktop and have several people access and work on a common
project.

You should look at the OLPC implementation of Etoys. They have
replaced Nebraska with other technology better suited to Internet
usage.  I think it adds XMPP for presence. http://www.squeakland.org/
and http://www.sugarlabs.org/

Good luck!

--