[squeak-dev] etoys web browser plugin on Linux

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 02:27:44 UTC 2011

Local or cloud depends on your requirements. I happen to prefer local,
stand-alone capability for Open Slate, with network connections just a
way to research and collaborate, and log telemetry (student
performance).

The choice of XMPP server will require a reasonable amount of testing,
and may be influenced by your ability to use commercial software, GPL
software, etc. You can try out XMPP by creating a free account on
Jabber. Mostly acts like any old school chat program, a la AIM. Kind
of passe these days, what with SMS and Twitter. What we are interested
in is the ability to know who is available at the moment. XMPP is not
very useful as a data exchange format, rather slow. HTTP being an
obvious alternative.

I believe Etoys has an XMPP class. No need to reinvent the wheel. The
best man to speak to that is Bert Freudenberg, the squeaker behind the
whole Etoys OLPC movement.

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu