[squeak-dev] Re: Profile interpretation

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 24 11:25:37 UTC 2011

On 7/24/2011 10:11, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Looking at the profile, I see in the iPad a lot of time spent in the
> method #idleProcess. The #eventLoop also counts for a lot.
> I don't know how to interpret these two results.

If time is spent in the idleProcess it is usually a good sign. Time
assigned to the idleProcess is time in which your system didn't do a
thing, so you have resources to spare. Usually this means you were
running a UI interaction in which case there is always some idle time
inbetween the Morphic interaction loop.

The bad news about the profile is the time spent in the eventLoop. The
reason it's bad is that this is a clear sign that the profiler is bogus.
I have commented on that many times in the past; basically the profile
you have is almost entirely useless (see [1] for a good example of how
bogus the results are).

Your best bet at this point is probably to go back to a VM that doesn't
have the problem (probably as far as 3.6 if that's feasible) or to
extract the OpenQwaq system profiler which you could then run on the
desktop (I'm not sure if it's supported by the Stack VM; you could try
it to see if it works on the iPad as well).

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-June/001410.html

Cheers,
   - Andreas