[squeak-dev] Smalltalk Implementation of the Viable System Model

Robert Carleton rbc at rbcarleton.com
Sat Jul 30 16:47:48 UTC 2011

I've been slowly piecing together an implementation of what is called the Viable System Model, or VSM.  The model was developed by operations research theorist and cybernetician Stafford Beer in the early 70's.  One of the best known projects to use the VSM was an attempted real-time computer-controlled planned economy in the years 1970 to 1973. It was called Project Cybersyn. The system used a telex network and applications running on an IBM 360 computer.

I've been working on a Smalltalk implementation of the model, that I'm calling the Viable System Agent.  It's come far enough along, that I think it is ready to show.  There is a small web page for the project:

 http://home.rbcarleton.com/rbc/software/smalltalk/VSA/

There is a presentation, along with file outs of the present code.  See the unit tests for how it might be used.  I have to add that it is just a beginning.  If you have previously seen Beers ideas in operations research and cybernetics, you might find it interesting.

Best,

			--Bruce