[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:08:51 UTC 2011

On 1 June 2011 08:28, Alexander Lazarević <laza at blobworks.com> wrote:
> 2011/6/1 Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>
>>
>> More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works,
>> Linux/Windows/Mac all support this; Smalltalk, no no... so busy worried
>> about inventing the future it doesn't notice it got left behind.
>
> Wow, so that's how the world works. I was just wondering. Thanks.
> So running with pack is the only and ultimate strategy for success?

Of course not. Note that if you're the only one believing X, and
everyone else believes !X, that you might well be wrong. Not always,
but you can't be Copernicus or Galileo all the time.

Complacency - specifically, "we're so special that those rules don't
apply to us" - means that we get left behind. We have _been_ left
behind in many ways, while we hark back to the glory days of 1980.
Well, the rest of the world's had 31 years of trying and failing and
succeeding. Maybe we should take a good look at what other people have
done, and quietly copy what works.

As it happens, I work in "normal" IDEs and Squeak, and I love Squeak
_despite_ its lack of window management, not _because_ of it.

frank