[squeak-dev] Re: Testing Seaside in Squeak4.3alpha-11321

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:41:40 UTC 2011

It's a shame that Seaside has a dependency on a particular UI tool
framework at all.  Why?  For my own personal image-build, I simply
exclude the few packages that initiate this dependency.  e.g., I have
a (near) full-running Seaside without OmniBrowser.

Another problem:  Seaside also still references #tempScopedNames, a
method that Pharo renamed from #tempNames.

The Seaside maintainers might be able to be convinced to remove
Pharo-specific code.  If not, perhaps it can at least be split into
separate platform-specific packages to help (although that might not
help with the #tempScopedNames).

Finally, Levente you're right.  The script provided by Seaside
maintainers was not sustainable because it always loads "the latest"
rather than a specific configuration.  We need both, and that is a
practice I've been trying to advocate for a long time with use of
SqueakMap.  Create one release called head which loads the latest and
then other releases which are for legacy Squeak images (e.g., 4.2,
4.1) which load specific named versions.

That way, we can minimize these kinds of stupid "I can't load XYZ"
conversations which consume our community's bandwidth..

  - Chris