[squeak-dev] Too many update configs in trunk?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 11 16:11:04 UTC 2011

On 10.06.2011, at 22:59, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 6/9/11, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took
>> ages.
>>
> Bert
>
> Which version was the older trunk image?

Update config 168.

> How long is "ages"?  20 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours?

15 minutes maybe? I didn't watch the clock.

> How often are you going to repeat the exercise in the future?

Not very often.

I guess I'm just spoiled by how snappy the update process usually is ;)

About 50 packages changed since 168.mcm. So ideally the update process would only have to download 50 mcds. Instead, it downloaded about 240, forced by the update maps. Which is still better than downloading all 650 mcds corresponding to each commit individually. And a lot better than downloading full mczs, as Levente pointed out.

So, it's not that bad after all.

- Bert -