[squeak-dev] Morphic on HTML+CSS

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Jun 14 20:56:09 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 06/14/2011 07:00 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> At Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:27:30 -0700,
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> What would be nice though is pursuing the idea of alternative UI kits in Squeak - being able to unload and switch between Full Morphic / SimpleMorphic / Native / HTML interfaces, all backed by ToolBuilder seems very useful. For the HTML interface you could e.g. just add a WebKit plugin.
>
>    Sounds good.
>
>    BTW, you can get the references to JS objects from Google Native
> Client and send messages to them.  We can write a bridge to them, and
> then we should be able to mix the HTML rendered objects and
> Squeak-rendered objects in Chrome.
>
> -- Yoshiki

I am deeply looking into WebOS 3.0 right now - got early access to the
SDK. And WebOS is *all javascript*, they even use Node.js as the
background service technology. The new framework for apps is called Enyo
and is simply a javascript UI framework that can actually run fine
inside Chrome!

WebOS 3.0 also supports "hybrid apps" which means you can use C/C++ to
build a "plugin" that can talk to the js side running in V8/webkit. So
one idea is to put a headless Squeak VM in there as a plugin and let it
drive the js side. Another, complimentary idea is to use JTalk on the js
side.

And finally, yes, WebOS supports SDL/OpenGL ES - so a regular Squeak
port is also plausible. And it would be cool if we could put energy into
Igor's OpenGL backed Morphic canvas.

regards, Göran

PS. HP Touchpad to be released on 1st of july.