[squeak-dev] Morphic on HTML+CSS

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jun 15 17:53:43 UTC 2011

S, Colin Putney piše:

>> In light of recent Microsoft surprising U-turn announcement [1] that in
>> Windows 8 it swithes to HTML5 (HTML5+CSS+JavaScript) instead of .NET+WPF
>> and Silverlight for desktop app development it is IMO a right time to
>> think about:
>>
>> 1. is this a clear signal that HTML5 for ALL apps, both desktop and the
>>   web is inevitable?
>
> No. Apple isn't going that way, and Microsoft is just dipping its toe
> in the water.
>
>> 2. is this a clear signal that we need to rebuild Morphic on top of
>>   HTML+CSS, to leverage all Morphic advantages and come back
>>   to bleeding edge again?
>
> Dan Ingalls has done it already: http://lively-kernel.org/

Lively is a project to watch and study, but Lively is JavaScript only,
not using HTML and CSS, as far as I know.

Separation of design with CSS is namely something which really raised
the creativity fo designers on the web. This can help building better
and nicely looking Smalltalk apps too!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek