[vwnc] [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] StOMP - Yet another multi-dialect object serializer

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Jun 20 22:09:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, I don't know the reasons but Colin ported SRP to Squeak and the he
> finally implemented his own S&M serializer. Masashi now implemented StOMP
> but he also took a look tp SRP. In fact, check the commits in
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SRP,  He fixed it, and I asked him a couple of
> questions to make it work. Since this week (a couple of days ago), SRP tests
> are green in Pharo. So...these guys took a look to SRP, as well as us.

Well, to be fair, I didn't port SRP, I just used the existing Squeak
port. (Might have made a few tweaks to get it working on recent Squeak
releases.) I used SRP for early versions of Monticello2, but then
switched over to a custom serializer. There were a few reasons for
this:

- I wanted to optimize for encoding efficiency - ie. shorter byte
sequences for a given object graph
- I needed to ensure that a given object graph would always product
exactly the same byte sequence
- I wanted to be able to turn a graph of objects into a sequence of
objects as a separate operation from encoding them as bytes

I might have been able to bend SRP to my will, but I figured it would
be easier to start from scratch. Eventually, I started using this
serialization code in other projects, and separated it out into a
separate package, called Serialization&Materialization. It's very
focussed on my somewhat odd needs, though, and probably not useful for
the general case.

Colin