[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] FFI and capturing external program input in Squeak/Pharo

Dave Mason dmason at mason-rose.ca
Mon Jun 20 23:52:56 UTC 2011

Hi Javier,

On 2011-Jun-20, at 18:51 , Javier Pimás wrote:

> Hi! It's nice to hear this. As Mariano said, I started to work in
> something like this some months ago, but I couldn't make something
> useful yet because I don't have much free time. I can give you a
> hand if you need. I don't know about OS Process, but I have some
> experience with FFI, so I'll look for some examples.

That would be great.  FFI, Alien, and NativeBoost evidence an itch...
but actual uses that depend on the code seem to be harder to find.  I
get the impression that many potential users have devolved to writing
their own purpose-built plugins.

> I also have some questions,
>
> - how did you implement the parser, by hand or with a framework?

By hand.  It doesn't handle all of C, but that part you will find in
include files.

> - did you implement a preprocessor or used the output of something
> like CPP?

I'm using CPP at the moment.  The only serious downside that I see is
that lots of C headers pre-date the introduction of enums into C, so
constants are often #defined rather than being part of an enum.  So I
may end up adding a pre-processor to recover these constants.

> - what about the output of the parser, do you create an AST?

No, I directly build the data structures I need to generate the FFI
interfaces.