[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-spd.469.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:41:23 UTC 2011

> Do we want curvy LineMorphs?

It took me a minute, but I think I understand your point.  I think
you're saying, a LineMorph is a PolygonMorph that isOpen.  But the
power of PolygonMorphs allows them to be curvy too, and they (the
Morphic artisans) made "Curve" and "Curvier" subclasses for parts-bin
examples.  And so, you ask, if we are going to make these all
first-class, do we want to have class-explosion for every combination?
 I agree, the answer to that is no.

However, we do have a first-class StarMorph (no doubt to support
implementation details).  I think a Line and a Star are things that
normal people think of as an everyday type of object.  A "Curve"
however, seems really to be just an _attribute_ of a polygon - whether
that is a Line or a Star or a polygon.

OTOH, I don't think we should have a TriangleMorph or a SquareMorph
and those are everyday objects too.  I guess I was thinking about how
it would make sense for the Line example to have API to control its
ends (arrows, etc.).

Anyhow, I think I've argued myself into agreement with you..

 - Chris