[squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Mar 3 22:02:50 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 03:37 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> What is the state of Squeak/Pharo/Cuis for Android tablets and phone?
> Lots of questions:
>   - what is the state of VM/images?
>   - any comments/hints on devices, speed and memory consumption?
>   - is it worth to buy one to run Smalltalk for own stuff?
>   - anyone written apps with Smalltalk for Android?
>   - is it possible to interface with native stuff. state of
>     touch support, ...

Generally speaking, here are my silly notions in this area:

- Android is heavily oriented around Dalvik and the libraries for it (Java)

- Android will be *the* platform for private computing in the near
future IMHO. Yes, I really think so. Android 3.0 looks really hot.

- A Squeak/Pharo/Cuis for Android will never be more than a toy unless
we can tap into the Dalvik/Java platform.

- This means we REALLY need JNIPort or similar projects to work really,
really well in order to actually use the libraries in full.

...or we need to get Squeak running inside/on-top-of Dalvik somehow.

Weird ideas:
	- PotatoSqueak is a port of the Squeak VM to java. Run that on Dalvik
and hey...
	- PySqueak using Pypy could probably generate a fast Squeak VM running
in java bytecode which possibly also could be run on Dalvik.

Both the above approaches would probably make interfacing with
Dalvik/Java much simpler.

...or just try using SilverSmalltalk or such. ;)

regards, Göran