[squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 3 22:16:31 UTC 2011

On 03.03.2011, at 13:39, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Under iOS, Bert wrote some stuff to make multitouch work in Etoys, not sure if it works in Squeak.

Should work pretty much the same. While working on a DrGeo iPad port with Hilaire I also adapted it for Pharo, which has a different Sensor architecture now.

> I've adapted part of it to work with Cuis myself, but I have a very, very bad bug so I haven't said much about it.
>
> On an iPad gen 1 (which is what I have) I am able to code on the device, though the UI is at times maddening and at others it's totally unusable, which is par for the course given that the UI was designed for a keyboard and mouse.

Hehe :)

> Cuis has a nice feature wherein if you click an hold on something that gets a context menu, it pops up after a split second. Juan did this for a small gadget once upon a time.

Would be nice to have that in Squeak, too, IMHO.

> There's no plan that I know of for a standard way of hiding and showing the soft keyboard from within the image; I'd love to talk about that.

Yep, been thinking about that. We need at least one new primitive. (There is probably a hack you could do right now using the Objective-C bridge).

We should also try to define the multi-touch VM interface so it would work the same on iOS / Android / Win7 etc.

> Performance on the device suuucks. Of the three I tried, Cuis feels most responsive. Makes me wonder if we aren't losing cycles unnecessarily to Morphic in Squeak.

We certainly are. Morphic is orders of magnitudes slower than MVC, but for much of it there is no good reason it has to be.

> AFAIK Apple won't let you ship anything that exposes a programming interface to users

I don't think that is true. E.g. there is a Basic interpreter in the App Store. What Apple does not allow is *downloading* code, because that would let developers circumvent the review process.

- Bert -