Closure VM on XO (was Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 22:54:15 UTC 2011

Inline

On Mar 3, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> I'm pretty close to a new release of Cuis that should feel way more responsive on slow devices. It does world redraw about 10 times faster when there are many windows open.
> Unfortunately I couldn't run it on my XO, as the preloaded VM is pre-closures... Does anybody know how to run a closures image on the XO?

I may be misunderstanding you; if not, you may experience a minor facepalm. XO is Fedora-based, so you should be able to grab the Linux VM sources and roll it up.

There may be some reason that this is harder than I would expect, I don't know; compiling a VM on that hardware might be beyond just painful, but also impossible (insufficient RAM/storage, etc.) but you should still be able to compile it on another box and then drop the files in.

Oh! And IIRC, I had to get an encryption key to flip the yes-I-am-grownup-programmer bit.

The displays on those things are unreal man. I'm tempted to rip it apart and scavenge the screen:)