Closure VM on XO (was Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Mar 4 01:06:25 UTC 2011

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 03.03.2011, at 14:54, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>

>> On Mar 3, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm pretty close to a new release of Cuis that should feel way more responsive on slow devices. It does world redraw about 10 times faster when there are many windows open.
>>> Unfortunately I couldn't run it on my XO, as the preloaded VM is pre-closures... Does anybody know how to run a closures image on the XO?
>>>
>> I may be misunderstanding you; if not, you may experience a minor facepalm. XO is Fedora-based, so you should be able to grab the Linux VM sources and roll it up.
>>

> The latest i386 Linux binary should just work:
>
> 	http://squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> and maybe even Eliot's Cog binary. It's just another Linux machine ...
>
> - Bert -

It seems at least some Linux knowledge is needed... mine is almost nil
:(. I did as follows:
- Downloaded      Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.tar.gz     and
Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.sh from the link you gave.
- Decompressed the .tar.gz file
- Saved the .sh, the .tar.gz, and the uncompressed folder to a /Cuis/
folder in an sd card.
- Added cuis image, changes and sources to that folder
- Inserted the sd card on the XO
- Opened the Terminal activity
- su
- cd /media/*/Cuis

First try: Now, trying to run the installer (.sh) gives 'command not
found'. Executing Squeak-4*.sh results in the full name printed (i.e.
found) followed by: ': command not found'.

Ok. Let's try something different
- cd Squeak-* matches the folder name and changes current folder
- cd bin
- ls shows squeak and squeak.sh
- Now running 'squeak ../../imagename.image' gives 'This interpreter
(vers 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)'

Looks like trying to run the original VM bundled with the machine. cp
squeak sqq to have it with some other name. doing 'sqq enter' gives
'sqq: command not found'. cp squeak.sh sqqq.sh to have this .sh with
some other name. doing 'sqqq.sh enter' gives 'sqqq.sh: command not found'.

Looks like the machine doesn't want to run any binary from the sd card.
I guess there is some linux detail I'm unaware of... Please help me!

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich