[squeak-dev] Re: Closure VM on XO

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Mar 4 11:04:42 UTC 2011

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 03.03.2011, at 18:31, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>

>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Well, you're almost there ;)
>>>
>>> You need either the tar.gz or the .sh, not both. After extracting, you can either install it, or run directly from where you installed it.
>>>
>>> The libGLU error you are getting now indicates the VM loads successfully. But the vm-display-x11 is linked to OpenGL. The XO has no OpenGL libraries installed. So what you need to do is copy the system's so.vm-display-x11 (from /usr/lib/squeak) to your new VM directory, overwriting the current version. Then everything should be fine. The system version was compiled without OpenGL support.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> Did that. Get same error as before...
>>
>> Also tried the 'all in one' Cuis (based on Squeak's). The included .sh file does 'uname -m' to find out about the CPU. The answer on the XO is i586, not i686, and therefore 'all in one' can't run. I wonder if this would affect the stand alone linux vm, too...
>>

> Unlikely. You would get a different error if this was the problem.
>
> I'd guess the VM inside the all-in-one is actually an i386 one, so it would run on anything newer than that, too. We should change the script.

Right. Patched the script so it would attempt running and got again the
vm-display-X11 errors.

> You really just need to make it use the right vm-display-x11 module. Do an ldd on it to see what it links to.

It points to stuff in /usr/lib/ , i.e. the version used by the original
vm that came with the system.

Anyway, I've already spent more time on this than I have... If someone
succeeds in running a closures image on the XO, I'd like to know. (Same
for WinCE, btw)

Thanks for your help.

Juan Vuletich